Galena is home to four local vineyards that produce award-winning, estate-grown wines. Each winery enjoys lovely, pastoral views of the surrounding landscape. Learn about the specific growing conditions and varietals produced in Illinois while tasting the excellent flavors of locally grown wine when you discover the below Galena, IL wineries.
Once you satisfy your thirst, you might be looking for somewhere to satisfy your hunger. Download our complimentary Galena Vacation Guide for local recommendations on great restaurants and breweries in the area, among many other things.
Your Guide to Experience the Best Wineries in Galena
There are a few different ways that you can enjoy Galena, IL wineries. If the tasting rooms on Main Street leave you wanting to discover more about the vineyards associated with them, here are some different methods of visiting the source.
Take a Wine Tour
- Countryside Tours: Countryside Tours offers a wine tour and a hop (beer) tour. Their wine tour lasts for 4 hours and takes you to 3 different vineyards for wine tastings.
- Fever River Outfitters: There are a variety of tours and adventures offered by Fever River Outfitters, one of which is a wine tour that takes you to Galena Cellars on a scooter. This enables you to fully enjoy the surrounding scenery on the way to the vineyard!
- Galena Wine Tours, Inc.: This is Galena’s premier wine touring company. Galena Wine Tours are available year-round, and they can pick you up right from your lodgings! Take their Blackhawk Wine Tour for a chance to learn about the history of the Upper Mississippi Wine Region and Galena, marvel at beautiful scenery, and visit three different wineries.
Visit the Vineyard’s
Go straight to the source and visit the vineyard!
- Fergedaboudit Vineyard and Winery: Fergedaboudit Vineyard and Winery is actually just outside of Galena in Hanover, but well worth the visit. This boutique winery offers quite a range of varietals and lovely views.
- Galena Cellars Vineyard and Winery: The acres of rolling farmlands that this vineyard grows from produces 40 varieties of wines and 22 different specialty grapes. Take a tour of Galena Cellars and see how its made, and afterward, have a glass of wine on the balcony while looking out over the vineyards.
- Massbach Ridge Winery: The Massbach Ridge Winery is in Massbach while its tasting room is in downtown Galena. Tours are available from April through October based upon weather conditions. The offerings here range from sweet whites to dry reds to fruit wines.
- Rocky Waters Winery: Also in Hanover, all of the wines at Rocky Waters Winery are made from their vineyard. You’ll only find their red varietals within the state of Illinois.
Attend a Galena Wine Festival
Wine Lovers Weekend is an exciting 2-day event that happens each March. During the event, wine vendors and celebrity chefs come to Galena and pull out all the stops. You’ll find gourmet wine-inspired dinners, excellent vino tastings, cooking demonstrations, spirits tastings, and so much more! This year, join us and experience a weekend in Galena that promises good wine, good food, and a good time.
The annual harvest of wine grapes is an exciting time for vintners and wine enthusiasts alike. Many festivals and events arise as a means of celebration that can bring wine communities together. One such event is the annual Nouveau Weekend, which has origins in France but today is celebrated in many places, including here in Galena. The Galena Nouveau Wine Weekend has been a local tradition since 1985, and as such has developed into a large event.
Create Your Own Tour at Galena River Wine and Cheese
When you’re craving velvety varieties of cheeses, exquisite wines, and homemade delicacies, make your way to Galena River Wine and Cheese. This quaint store boasts an extraordinary selection of high-quality products, perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re a wine aficionado or a cheese connoisseur, you’ll find the perfect pairings at this one-stop gourmet shop!
Enjoy WineTime at Farmer Guest House
At Farmers Guest House, we love wine, and we’re sure to share that love with our WineTime! Waiting in your room upon arrival, you’ll have your choice of wine along with an assortment of cheese and crackers. Guests can either indulge in the privacy of their room or mingle in any of our first-floor common areas. Each additional evening, guests are offered WineTime delivery to enjoy wine and cheese at their leisure.
Our spacious Julia Suite will envelop you in tasteful luxury. Relax in the comfortable king-sized bed and soak in the double whirlpool tub after a day of exploring Galena. The royal blues and burnt oranges compliment the tones of the wood floors and romantic fireplace, setting the mood for a rejuvenating stay.
We have eight other suites and a cottage each as charming as the last, so be sure to browse all our accommodations before you book your relaxing stay in Galena, IL!