Galena is home to four local vineyards that produce award-winning, estate-grown wines. Each winery enjoys lovely, pastoral views of the surrounding landscape. Learn about the specific growing conditions and varietals produced in Illinois while tasting the excellent flavors of locally grown wine when you go on a winery tour in Galena, IL. Once you satisfy your thirst, you might be looking for somewhere to satisfy your hunger. Download our complimentary Vacation Guide for local recommendations on great restaurants and breweries in the area, among many other things.
Galena, IL Winery Tours
There are a few different ways that you can enjoy winery tours here. If the tasting rooms on Main Street leave you wanting to discover more about the vineyards associated with them, here are some different methods of visiting the source.
Take a Wine Tour
- Countryside Tours: Countryside Tours offers a wine tour and a hop (beer) tour. Their wine tour lasts for 4 hours and takes you to 3 different vineyards for wine tastings.
- Fever River Outfitters: There are a variety of tours and adventures offered by Fever River Outfitters, one of which is a wine tour that takes you to Galena Cellars on a scooter. This enables you to fully enjoy the surrounding scenery on the way to the vineyard!
- Galena Wine Tours, Inc.: This is Galena’s premier wine touring company. Galena Wine Tours are available year-round, and they can pick you up right from your lodgings! Take their Blackhawk Wine Tour for a chance to learn about the history of the Upper Mississippi Wine Region and Galena, marvel at beautiful scenery, and visit three different wineries.
Take a Winery Tour
Go straight to the source and visit the vineyard!
- Fergedaboudit Vineyard and Winery: Fergedaboudit Vineyard and Winery is actually just outside of Galena in Hanover, but well worth the visit. This boutique winery offers quite a range of varietals and lovely views.
- Galena Cellars Vineyard and Winery: The acres of rolling farmlands that this vineyard grows from produces 40 varieties of wines and 22 different specialty grapes. Take a tour of Galena Cellars and see how its made, and afterward, have a glass of wine on the balcony while looking out over the vineyards.
- Massbach Ridge Winery: The Massbach Ridge Winery is in Massbach while its tasting room is in downtown Galena. Tours are available from April through October based upon weather conditions. The offerings here range from sweet whites to dry reds to fruit wines.
- Rocky Waters Winery: Also in Hanover, all of the wines at Rocky Waters Winery are made from their vineyard. You’ll only find their red varietals within the state of Illinois.
Attend a Galena Wine Festival
The 12th annual Wine Lovers Weekend is set to occur March 22nd and 23rd, 2019. Over 250 local wines will be represented in a series of Grand Tastings. Accompanying the fantastic wines at this event is live music, a live auction, and more. This wine tasting weekend in Galena is an excellent way to get even more familiar with the local flavors.
Stay in Downtown Galena
At Farmers Guest House, you’ll discover elegant accommodations in the heart of downtown, just a short walk away from some of the best things to do in Galena, IL. Cozy tasting rooms, charming shops, and fantastic restaurants will be close by when you stay here. We have lovely gardens on site that attract local wildlife, and we serve one of the best breakfasts in North America. If you’re looking for a peaceful escape from city living, our historic inn offers the perfect tranquil retreat.
Our spacious Julia Suite will envelop you in tasteful luxury. Relax in the comfortable iron sleigh king-sized bed and soak in the double whirlpool tub after a day of exploring Galena. The warm colors of royal blue and burnt orange complement the tones of the wood floors and romantic fireplace, setting the mood for a rejuvenating stay.
We have eight other suites and a cottage each as charming as the last, so be sure to browse all our accommodations before you book your relaxing stay in Galena, IL!