Garden Veggie Frittata – A light breakfast egg entree, infused with fresh garden greens- what a way to begin a day!
1 Roma tomato chopped
1/2 c zucchini chopped
1/2 c yellow or orange sweet pepper chopped
1 green onion chopped
2 T evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
1/4 c grated cheese – I use a blend of Asiago, Parmesan and Romano
1/4 ricotta cheese or 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
chopped chives (optional)
1. Beat eggs in a bowl and add grated cheese. In a large skillet with lid (use the lid later) sauté the zucchini and peppers until soft, add onion and tomato and toss.
2. Add eggs & cheese mixture keeping heat high for first few minutes while bottom of eggs sets up. Turn down heat and lift edges allowing uncooked egg to flow under the frittata.
3. Once the eggs are set but before the bottom gets too browned, slide the frittata out of the pan onto the lid.* Turn empty skillet upside down over the eggs that are sitting on top of the lid and quickly flip the lid and frittata over, back into the pan to cook the other side. As soon as you have flipped the frittata, sprinkle the mozzarella over the top if using mozzarella and put on the lid, so that the cheese melts. When eggs are lightly browned on the bottom, slide the frittata onto a serving plate.
* If you have an oven- proof skillet, do not use the lid to flip the frittata but rather put the mozzarella cheese on top of the frittata (if using mozzarella) and cook under the broiler until top of eggs are set and cheese is melted.
4. Dollop with ricotta if using ricotta rather than mozzarella, sprinkle with chives if you like, and cut into wedges like a pizza to serve.